Friday, January 2, 2009

Say Them Out Loud!

I have never been one to make resolutions at the beginning of each new year. Instead I prefer to give myself reminders of things I need to do and renew goals that still need to be achieved. Important decisions need to be made throughout the year and not just limited to one time on January first. It keeps me focused. With that philosophy in mind I have created a list of things that an M. A. T. candidate would need to be reminded of and goals that need to be renewed. I could have added more, but five items seemed plenty for now. I might add more later.

Say these items out loud. They will make more of an impression on you if you do and will echo in your brain when you are not doing them.

1. I will be a certified teacher by the spring of 2010.
This fact might seem obvious, but it is a motivating factor to work hard to achieve your goal.

2. I plan to get to class ten minutes before the start of class. It will allow me to get settled and get ready for the class. I will be able to have the time to ask the professor questions. It will also set a good disposition for being an effective teacher. It will also make a good impression as well.

3. I will plan my fieldwork schedule well ahead of time. If I do this now, I won't have to scramble later. Each time I do my fieldwork I will enter my work in Tk20.

4. I need to work on my portfolio. If I am not sure how to build my portfolio, I will contact my advisor for help.

5. I will take every opportunity presented to me to learn about teaching.

Good Luck to All in 2009.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, reading those things out loud really felt good (especially the first one). I don't usually make new years resolutions either, but I really want to get A's in all my classes and not settle for anything less. I will also try hard to keep up to date with TK20 haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love this post Henry!!! I need to do some of those things now actually....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually the same way with not making resolutions however I do think the new year is a good time to remind ourselves of our goals as well as where we could use a little work. I read them out loud and did feel empowered thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKAY! WOW! That puts things in perspective! Thank you, Henry, for keeping us focussed on our ultimate goal...becoming the best teachers we can possibly be and reaching out to our futures!

    ReplyDelete